Table of Contents
Vivekananda Scholarship, named after the revered Indian philosopher and spiritual leader Swami Vivekananda, is a prestigious scholarship program aimed at providing financial assistance to meritorious students in West Bengal, India. This scholarship is administered by the Government of West Bengal through the Department of Higher Education, Science and Technology, and Biotechnology.
To be eligible for the Vivekananda Scholarship, applicants must fulfill certain criteria. The scholarship is available for students pursuing higher education in various streams, including Engineering, Medical, Technical, Paramedical, and other professional courses. Here are the general eligibility requirements:
1. Residence: Applicants must be permanent residents of West Bengal.
2. Educational Qualification: Students must have passed the Higher Secondary (10+2) examination or its equivalent from a recognized board or council.
3. Course of Study: The scholarship is applicable for undergraduate courses in Engineering, Medical, Technical, Paramedical, and other professional streams. Postgraduate students in selected courses may also apply.
4. Minimum Percentage: Students must have obtained a minimum of 75% marks (aggregate) in the qualifying examination for undergraduate courses. For postgraduate courses, a minimum of 53% marks is required.
5. Annual Family Income: The annual family income of the applicant should not exceed a certain threshold, as determined by the scholarship authorities. The income criteria may vary each year, so it is advisable to refer to the official website for the latest information.
The application process for the Vivekananda Scholarship is conducted online through the official website
Follow the steps below to complete the application:
1. Registration: Visit the official scholarship portal and create an account by providing the necessary details such as name, email address, and mobile number.
2. Login: Login to your account using the credentials provided during the registration process.
3. Application Form: Fill in the application form with accurate and up-to-date information, including personal details, educational qualifications, and income details.
4. Document Upload: Upload the required documents, such as mark sheets, income certificates, and other supporting documents, as specified in the application form.
5. Review and Submit: Carefully review the entered information and uploaded documents. Make sure all details are accurate before submitting the application.
6. Print Application: After submitting the application, take a printout of the completed form for future reference.
7. Application Tracking: Applicants can track the status of their application through the online portal using their login credentials.
Benefits of the Vivekananda Scholarship
The Vivekananda Scholarship provides financial assistance to deserving students, enabling them to pursue their higher education dreams. The benefits include:
1. Tuition Fee Waiver: The scholarship covers a significant portion of the tuition fees, easing the financial burden on students and their families.
2. Maintenance Allowance: Selected students receive a monthly maintenance allowance, which assists them in meeting their living expenses during the course of their studies.
3. One-time Grant: In addition to the tuition fee waiver and maintenance allowance, eligible students may receive a one-time grant to cover expenses related to the purchase of books, equipment, and other academic necessities.
4. Renewal of Scholarship: The scholarship can be renewed for the subsequent years of the course, subject to the student maintaining satisfactory academic performance.
The amount of money received from the Swami Vivekananda Scholarship
The amount of money received from the Swami Vivekananda Scholarship varies depending on the category and level of education. Here is a breakdown of the scholarship amounts for different categories:
1. For Undergraduate Students:
a. Non-TFW (Tuition Fee Waiver):
Students who are not admitted under the Tuition Fee Waiver category receive a scholarship amount of INR 8,000 per month as a maintenance allowance.
b. TFW (Tuition Fee Waiver):
Students admitted under the Tuition Fee Waiver category receive a scholarship amount of INR 4,500 per month as a maintenance allowance.
2. For Postgraduate Students:
a. Non-TFW (Tuition Fee Waiver): Postgraduate students who are not admitted under the Tuition Fee Waiver category receive a scholarship amount of INR 12,000 per month as maintenance allowance.
b. TFW (Tuition Fee Waiver): Postgraduate students admitted under the Tuition Fee Waiver category receive a scholarship amount of INR 5,500 per month as a maintenance allowance.
In addition to the maintenance allowance, eligible students may also receive a one-time grant of INR 10,000 for purchasing books and academic materials.
It is important to note that these scholarship amounts are based on the information available up until my knowledge cutoff in September 2021. The scholarship amounts may be subject to change, and it is advisable to refer to the official scholarship website or contact the concerned authorities for the most up-to-date information regarding the scholarship amounts.
Also, read Minority scholarship