Table of Contents
Education plays a vital role in shaping the future of a nation. Recognizing the importance of education and its impact on socioeconomic development, the Government of India has initiated several scholarship programs to support deserving students. One such program is the PM Scholarship Scheme, introduced with the vision of empowering Indian youth by providing financial assistance for higher education.
The PM Scholarship Scheme
The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2006 to honor and financially support the children of ex-servicemen (including their widows) pursuing professional courses. This scholarship aims to encourage and motivate the wards of ex-servicemen to excel academically and secure a brighter future for themselves.
To be eligible for the PM Scholarship, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
1. The applicant should be a dependent ward of an ex-serviceman or ex-Coast Guard personnel.
2. The applicant should be pursuing a professional degree course, such as engineering, medical, dental, veterinary, MBA, MCA, etc.
3. The applicant should have secured a minimum of 60% marks in their 10+2 examination.
4. The annual family income of the applicant should not exceed Rs. 6 lakh per annum.
The application process for the PM Scholarship Scheme is primarily online. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you navigate through the application process:
1. Visit the official website of the Kendriya Sainik Board Secretariat or the respective Rajya Sainik Board website. or click below
2. Look for the PM Scholarship Scheme section or a dedicated scholarship portal.
3. Register yourself on the portal by providing the necessary details such as name, contact information, educational qualifications, etc.
4. Fill in the application form with accurate and up-to-date information.
5. Attach the required documents, including a photograph, mark sheets, income certificate, and other supporting documents as specified.
6. Review the application form for any errors or omissions.
7. Submit the application form online.
8. Note down the application ID or take a printout of the application form for future reference.
9. Keep track of any updates or notifications regarding the scholarship through the official portal.
Benefits of the PM Scholarship Scheme
The PM Scholarship Scheme offers a range of benefits to the selected candidates, including:
1. Financial Assistance:
The scholarship provides financial support in the form of a fixed monthly stipend to cover the student’s academic expenses.
2. Professional Development:
The scholarship encourages students to pursue professional courses, enhancing their career prospects and opening doors to better opportunities.
3. Merit Recognition:
Being selected for the PM Scholarship Scheme is a prestigious achievement that recognizes the academic merit and potential of the student.
4. Empowerment of Ex-servicemen’s Families:
By supporting the education of ex-servicemen’s children, the scheme contributes to the well-being and progress of their families.
5. National Integration:
The scholarship scheme promotes national integration by bringing together students from diverse backgrounds and regions.
PM Scholarship Amount for Different Students:
1. PM Scholarship Amount for Undergraduate Courses
Undergraduate courses play a crucial role in shaping a student’s academic foundation and career prospects. The PM scholarship amount for undergraduate students is provided as a fixed monthly stipend, which can greatly alleviate the financial burden on students and their families. As of the current information available, undergraduate students receive a scholarship amount of Rs. 2,500 per month for a maximum duration of 4 years or the duration of the course, whichever is less.
2. PM Scholarship Amount for Postgraduate Courses
Postgraduate education provides students with specialized knowledge and advanced skills in their chosen fields. The PM scholarship amount for postgraduate students is higher than that of undergraduate students.
As of the current information available, postgraduate students receive a scholarship amount of Rs. 3,000 per month for a maximum duration of 2 years or the duration of the course, whichever is less. This increased amount reflects the higher academic demands and longer duration of postgraduate courses.
3. PM Scholarship Amount for Professional and Technical Courses
Professional and technical courses, such as engineering, medical, dental, veterinary, MBA, MCA, etc., require extensive resources, often with higher tuition fees. Recognizing this, the PM scholarship amount for professional and technical courses is significantly higher than for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
As of the current information available, students pursuing professional and technical courses receive a scholarship amount of Rs. 6,000 per month for a maximum duration of 4 years or the duration of the course, whichever is less.
4. Special Category Scholarships
In addition to the general scholarship amounts mentioned above, the PM scholarship scheme also offers special category scholarships for certain groups of students. These special category scholarships include:
1. Dependent Wards of Ex-servicemen/Widows:
The dependent wards of ex-servicemen or widows receive a scholarship amount of Rs. 2,500 per month for a maximum duration of 4 years or the duration of the course, whichever is less.
2. Dependent Wards of Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles:
The dependent wards of Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles personnel receive a scholarship amount of Rs. 2,500 per month for a maximum duration of 4 years or the duration of the course, whichever is less.
Also, read the Digital Gujarat scholarship